Thursday, August 6, 2009

Worship

My beliefs fluctuate; I think I'm settling into an igtheism or agnosticism or atheism, depending on the day; I do not think I will ever cease to be spiritual or to even be pagan, though, as I do believe in archetypes, and I believe in the importance of the archetypes as manifested in gods throughout human history - in short, I think that, even if humans created gods, humans are *powerful* in their ability to reify that sort of concept. In short, people will do their damnedest to manifest what they really believe and, even if they can't make it manifest in a spiritual sense, as above, so below, and their worldview will impact the society in which they live.

At the VNV concert I went to a couple of weeks ago, I was struck by something. I noted at the last concert that they really are capable of raising energy far beyond any circle I've ever attended, far beyond any church service I have ever been part of, and perhaps part of it is because of the size of the crowd, but part of it is because of the power of their words and the energy of Ronan himself.

He likes to encourage his audiences to raise their hands, and as I watched I was struck more and more by how the atmosphere reminded me of worship - not of him, not of anything, but just the reverence and the joy and the dancing and the overall worship of existence. It was like most of the worship services I had been to, only I felt something.

And it was good, very good.

I'm looking forward to starting choir with my classes in the fall because it provokes a similar feeling, and it's just so seldom that I feel like that anymore. I'm getting these touches of that connection coming back, and I feel like my world is falling back into place again with the impending reappearance of music in my everyday life.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you've reminded me of what it's like to sing in a large skilled choir. The goosebumps I'd get from a perfectly sung Mozart tune is like nothing I've ever experienced since.

    ReplyDelete