SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER FOR REAL SPOILER ZOMG SPOILER, for those of you who haven't seen "Someone to Watch Over Me."
Okay, for real. No spoilers in the words, but in the video I'm going to post, and in what I'll write after the video, I guess.
Scenes like this are the reason why I absolutely adore Battlestar - I love what they have done with "All Along the Watchtower" (coupled with the Final Five theme), and the way that Bear McCreary writes in the character themes in the show, just so that, even if you don't read his blog or read music or pay attention to that specifically, there are themes that your brain will hear that will automatically associate with characters or storylines - like this one. And this is the best bit of exposition I have ever, ever seen on a show. I dunno; maybe it's just because I'm a music geek, but I thought it was absolutely beautiful.
Boomer will redeem herself; her conversation with the Chief before taking off - her wanting him to come, and telling him that she meant everything she said, and all that, was just too easily lost in the shuffle of what she did afterward, and I think they did that intentionally. It's just too easy to say that of course she's evil and of course she would do that; I think it's a feint, although I wonder what will happen to Hera. I called Starbuck; I can call this, dammit.
I think this is the best episode of Battlestar I've seen, although it's hard-pressed to compete with "Sometimes a Great Notion." I dig the cerebral; it's not that I don't love the action episodes - I do. I just like the stuff that makes you think and feel even more. I loved seeing this bit of resolution for Starbuck, and I knew that was Daniel playing the piano, although I wondered how on earth he could be there without Ellen knowing who he was (since she is apparently a regular at the bar, too) - and I wonder why on earth, on this show, I was so surprised that he was in her head, considering that, at any given point in time, half of the characters may just be angels of God or figments of imagination.
Beautiful bit of exposition. Unbelievable. I don't care who says that this season is a shitfest; I think it's their best yet. This is the way to go out.
No comments:
Post a Comment