A year ago, on December 1, I moved back here in desperation because the situation in Montana became untenable for both me and my daughter, and I felt like I was running back with my tail between my legs, spanked (and, really, it was a pretty epic fail, though it wasn't actually my fault that time around).
Although I was looking forward to seeing my parents, I was pretty acutely aware that I would rather have been anywhere but here. Most of my friends had moved on to other lives (hell, I had, too), I have a lot of pretty heinous memories here (that the good memories just can't counterbalance some days), I have a political loathing of the region, and it is just wrong for me climate-wise and geographically. I really wanted to be anywhere but Texas.
Combine that with the fact that I was still in love with someone completely wrong for me (although it was in its dying throes at that point), my son was in Montana still, and you have a pretty nasty picture coming into 2008.
Then the world turned on its head, and what looked to be a dismal recovery period turned into a time of healing and renewal for me. I renewed and strengthened my relationship with my parents, resumed and subsequently upgraded a very old friendship, and, in the process of that, gained a partner and companion whom I love completely and totally, a father-figure for my daughter, and more extended family than you can shake a stick at (of whom I am pretty fond as well).
I've been privileged to watch my daughter blossom as she gains more and more people in her life who love her, and have realized that, with the absence of her biological father, she has not suffered - rather, she has benefited from the presence of people who may not be blood but who are absolutely family in every way that counts. My son is still in Montana, and, although I cannot possibly spew enough venom on that topic, at the same time, I talk to him weekly, and he loved and well-cared for, and, in the absence of getting to see him, that is the best I can wish for.
I also moved out of my parents' place and decided to start college, even if that won't happen until late next year. Even if it took a good kick in the ass to send me back to music, I got there, and don't plan on messing this one around.
I watched my country elect a man I truly believe is capable of doing great things, who happens to be black as well, and I am proud. I hope he lives up to the expectations I have.
So 2008 suddenly pulled a Heel Face Turn on me and ended up being, despite all odds, not only bearable, but wonderful. I plan the same for this upcoming year, and this time the world looks a lot brighter.
I hope 2009 brings blessings to all who are reading this, by whatever Name they call upon, if any.
No comments:
Post a Comment