I'm just heartbroken that I have someone I really love and respect who thinks that caring about the basic human rights of all human beings equals hysterics, or that hysterics over basic human rights isn't warranted.
Really.
In other news, I am not voting for Obama ever, ever again. I could give a shit if we get universal health coverage or if the economy recovers - it would be nice, but if this is the price? Fucking forget it. I don't want my, or my children's, happiness or security at the price of someone else's rights. Ever.
That's surprising!
ReplyDeleteHow come? And which part?
ReplyDeleteUltimately, what I consider to be my most staunch view is civil libertarianism. I am a civil libertarian. I believe that all human beings deserve basic civil rights, period, and, while I'll certainly support Obama's policies if I agree with them, his administration's policies on the civil liberties of detainees makes it impossible for me to support his administration as a whole. I suppose I could see myself voting for him again if he changes this up quickly, retracts it, whatever, but I have my doubts that he will, and I am deeply disturbed that he renamed Bush's policies and claimed them for his own. I want no part of this. I am deeply, deeply disappointed in Obama, although I'm not walking around butt-hurt anymore. I can't forget now that we're keeping people in prison because they might commit a crime someday. These are human beings. This is wrong.
And yeah, it's sad to me whenever someone I do have so much respect for (and take this to be about Obama or my friend, whichever) is so eager to brand people they know nothing about, who may very well have been deeply wronged by our system, as violent terrorists, and to say that it is nauseating when people speak out for their rights. That hurts.
I assumed I knew who you were talking about, and was surprised that he didn't agree with you wholeheartedly. But maybe I shouldn't have assumed.
ReplyDeleteI'm so with you on civil rights. I've been an active member of Amnesty International for 30 years now. But I find I have a strong, if somewhat surprising to me, trust in Obama that makes me want to give him a VERY long leash before I go against him. I can understand the dilemma of being responsible for protecting American lives and protecting the human rights of all when you have information that suggests real danger, which I assume he has....On which side of the matter do we break the rules? (I don't really like rules!) Do we err on the side of being too protective of lives for whom we feel a responsibility OR do we err by guaranteeing one's rights when it seems those same rights have a more-than-reasonable chance of resulting in loss of life? Not an easy choice. Full of ambiguity, shades of gray. For me, anyway.
I don't think we're thinking about the same person, because that person is female.
ReplyDeleteAnd I can understand the desire to trust Obama. It's just that, after seeing people talk about trusting the President unconditionally for the past eight years, and speaking out against that, it's disconcerting to hear from people - lots of people - that, since Obama is a Democrat whom we elected, who is articulate and intelligent and seemingly principled (time will tell that, but this is disturbing on that count), we should be willing to hand over basic civil liberties since, well, he knows what he's doing, even if he won't tell us...it's just horrifying to me. If they have information that would lead to the conviction of any of these people I am fully in support of trying them to the fullest extent of the law. However, imprisoning people on the basis of their potential to commit a crime is an unprecedented and terrifying power for a government to have. I can't support that. Obama said he didn't support that.
I understand having personal ambiguity about it, but, ultimately, any ambiguity I have is based on fear, and fear is not a reason to deny other people rights - not to mention that we are continuing to refuse to have any kind of moral imperative in the world. It's a hornet's nest, and I can't, and won't, cede that just because Obama is the one doing it. To me that makes it worse, you know?
I see your points, yes. I really do.
ReplyDeleteAnd I'm glad to know my assumption was wrong!!! :-)