I love dance music. I love shallow, facile, pointless, fun dance music, that just make your whole body scream with feeling good and that makes your brain shut down because you are just feeling waves of incandescent light travel through you. I love dance music.
Although I joke a great deal, all in all, I am a very serious person, and I have to take great care not to overindulge my natural seriousness and morbidity. As a teenager, I listened mainly to morbid, dark music, which led to a lot of depression - I think it was a give-and-take with me and the music I would listen to, but the longer I would go without listening to any simple, fun music, the more depressed I would get.
Then, in my late teens, a friend introduced me to VNV Nation, who still, by the by, is my favorite band ever. Now, their music does tend to be very serious, but it also is in a genre called electronica, which is fun to listen to and incorporates a lot of different sounds from the mainstream. From this, over time, I branched out to pure techno and Europop, and, whenever I'm feeling low, or too serious, or just want to feel mindlessly good, it's, essentially, like musical Ecstasy - which, I guess, is why people usually take X while listening to this kind of music; whatever, my personality is like being on psychedelics half the time anyway, I think.
I've had friends tease me because I tend to be so serious, and then I listen to such facile music, but it's so very fun to listen to. Like Nickelback, only in rainbow colors and making your mind feel like it wants to crawl out of your body and dance, because that's just how I roll.
Usually the colors I associate with this kind of music is, actually, pretty much what Windows Media Player would play as a visual with it - I see rainbows colors in lines and shards and waves rushing, but they're not necessarily rainbow colors; they're white and colors at the same time. Maybe pearl-like, with a sheen that reflects colors. It. Yeah.
I don't dance. I mean it; ask anyone who knows me - I don't dance; I just don't do it. It feels wrong and awkward; rhythm is not something that my entire body seems to understand, partially because I have never been particularly comfortable with my body as a physical entity (I'm not talking about body image issues). I dance internally, because internal is where it happens with me.
Unless I am playing Dance Dance Revolution, in which case I magically morph into a twelve-year-old child who weighs ninety pounds when I play. Because the music is just that awesome.
So, please, take a load off. (All separate videos for dance songs that came to mind; some of the videos suck, but the music is the point, so.)
No comments:
Post a Comment