I cannot imagine what it would be like to be told that loving the people whom I have loved is a sin. And it breaks my heart to think about people who are basically denied loving contact with the gender of their preference.
Because, see, this goes so much further than sex. For some reason, any time someone comes out as homosexual or bisexual, people picture them having sex - it's this idiotic response; what, like you picture your friend having sex with their opposite-sex partner just because they happen to be together? And, so, they get it in their heads that it is entirely about sex.
Really, it's the fundie, sex-crazed view of everything, come to think of it - they think that, if two people move in together before (or without) marriage, it MUST be just so that they can have sex; it has nothing to do with, say, not wanting to drive miles and miles to see each other every day (or not seeing each other much at all), or wanting to wake up next to a person, or wanting to share your lives in a closer fashion. No; it just means that you want to boink like rabbits, of course. Let me share something, fundies: Just because you're completely obsessed with sex, presumably because you're not getting it (because anyone who actually gets to have sex, and enjoy it, isn't going to be that obsessed), does not mean that everyone else is. Most of us just have it like normal people and then move on with our lives, rather than worrying about everyone else who just might be having sex RIGHT NOW!
My gods; get a life, read a book, get a gym membership, or, better yet, have some sex yourself, people.
Anyhow, they think that homosexuality (and everything else they disapprove of) is entirely about sex. Attraction, while having a certain healthy sexual component, however, encompasses so much more than sex. It means wrapping your arms around someone and listening to their heartbeat, or getting to casually run your hands through their hair when you're sitting together, or snuggling while you're doing two separate things, or lying in bed together for hours talking. It means you get to run your hands over bare skin and feel the warmth and feel close without feeling guilty about whom you are doing it with because of your status or what's dangling, or not, between their legs. It means you get to show affection, and express it verbally. It means freedom.
And I just cannot imagine not getting to do these things. I've been through it once, in that I was very much in love with someone with whom I would never have a relationship, but that's completely different from knowing that society forbade these expressions; unrequited love is a part of everyone's life at some point or another. I can't imagine what it would be like to be told that God thinks that it's wrong for me to do that, and so to deny myself one of the most fulfilling aspects of being human simply because I think that affection as I choose to express it would be sinful. That just boggles my mind.
So things like this break my heart. I want to tell these people that any God worth his (or her) salt is going to want you to be happy, rather than to suffer from loneliness. Gays and lesbians deserve better than these half-baked psychobabble ex-gay ministries. They deserve to be treated like human beings who need to touch skin sometimes, who maybe just want to run their hands through someone's hair or lay their head on someone's chest. You know, like everyone else. They don't deserve to be boiled down to their genitals, and neither does everyone else. Get a clue, fundies.
No comments:
Post a Comment