Tuesday, January 13, 2009

So many black roses

This may get graphic, not so much in physical details as in things that may be too personal by most people's standards. I pose this both as a trigger warning for victims of sexual assault and for people who would rather not know some things about me.

I'm posting this as a reply to a question that was posed to me by a commenter on Pandagon on this thread (because where would a thread on sexual assault be without the rape apologists coming out to play and asking everyone to think of the poor victim menz?). I post under the screen name INTPagan.

When I post about things like that, and then I see a poster list my name in a list of people they trust on this topic, it breaks my heart, because it underscores for me the fact that so many other women have been through this. I don't *want* to be trusted on this, because I want it to be *my* problem. I do not want to share this problem with someone else. I want to be completely alone in this, because there shouldn't be anyone else who has gone through it. This post is a very long response, because I feel it's warranted not so much by the question (my answer, Essie, and I thought hard about it as I wrote this, is a resounding yes) as by the culture.

To explain firstly exactly what this is about, I have been in a relationship with someone who abused me, as I have mentioned, and I had also experienced date rape with someone I was seeing casually, which I may or may not have mentioned. There is also one much murkier occasion. Discussing my personal experiences with rape is rather clinical for me, because I see them, in a way, as something that I was disjointed from. I understand that is a sign of dissociation and that most people would likely tell me to get therapy for it; my response is that, if money really wants to start growing on trees, it had better get cracking. It personally upsets me more that I let it happen to me, even though I understand intellectually that this is not the case. However, this is not a conversation that traumatizes me; it traumatizes me more when I hear about other people's experiences, because I think, on a level, that I see other people's experiences of this as more real than mine. I consider myself strong, and the thought that this happened to me is kind of anathema to my whole self-image.

I think the first time it started to seep in that this was that widespread was whenever I was a senior in high school. It hadn't been too long for me since I had been in these situations (both occurred in my junior year). A girl I didn't know well at the time (we're close friends now), whom I had thought was very stuck-up, was talking to her friend about her controlling boyfriend, and I dragged myself out of my book (because, of course, I was buried in a book) and cocked my head to listen. Being fresh off of it and horrified enough by the thought of someone else having something like that going on, I jumped in. I don't remember the conversation very well, or what came of it, but she broke up with him a while later and, years later, she told me her story - that, one night, when she was in her mid-teens, she was out with him (he was in his early twenties) and his friends and they were drinking, and he pressured her into sex, and, ultimately, she had said no and he had continued anyway. She "knew" she couldn't tell her parents because she had been drinking and out with a guy and it was all very forbidden. So my friend has been raped. (She recently went to a party, ran into the guy, and he pulled her aside and apologized to her, which is a rare addendum, but at least something.)

I started hearing other stories, seeing statistics, and realizing that what had happened to me is horrifyingly common. I seem to be the rule, not the exception. Numbers are cold, though, and it didn't really hit until I went to see the Vagina Monologues with my boyfriend and his family almost a year ago (his sister was in the show). For those who are unfamiliar with the show, participants who have been sexually assaulted wear a black rose, the ones who know someone but have never experienced it personally wear a red rose, and the ones who have not been touched, directly or indirectly, by this experience wear a white rose.

There was not a single white rose there, and there were so. Many. Black roses. So many. It was this tangible, visual representation of how not alone I was, and I wanted to scream because it made me so angry. I'm angry that this has happened to me, but I accept it as part of my narrative. I am enraged that this has happened to other people, because what the fuck?! Again, this is not something you want to be a shared experience. You want to be alone in this.

So, for the sake of posterity, and for the added power of another voice, here's my stories. I figure, the more women talk about it, and the more women talk about their perceptions of what has happened to them (because a lot of rape happens in that grey area where the guy just thinks he's putting on pressure, which I will cover later), the more unacceptable the whole spectrum of behaviour will be.

I'm not sure when I think the first time I was raped happened. I became sexually active at fifteen years old and, where other things that I did with that guy were often coerced, I did not lose my virginity with anything other than my free will - at least, I think. My memory of that entire relationship is so muddled that I have a hard time keeping much of it straight. Either way, I willingly, having planned it, lost my virginity to this guy, and willingly had sex with him on many occasions. Unless you're ready to consider any time that a guy tells a girl, "If you don't do this, I'll find someone else who will," to be coercion, I don't really think that I was so much coerced as mind-screwed into the other things that I did. At any rate, I moved away for a year and moved back at the beginning of my junior year, when I was sixteen. The summer before that I stayed with him and his family on what was originally intended to be a two-week visit and instead ended up staying there until my parents got back out to the area. In the meantime, things got a little darker.

Where before he had used words to persuade me, he became much more physically aggressive, and, where a year before he had been a pretty stick-skinny guy (although with over a foot of height on me), he had put on at least fifty pounds, and it was muscle, so this threat wasn't exactly unfounded. There was one occasion where he had me pinned to the couch and was starting to take my shirt off (I think), I was whimpering for him to stop, and his dad happened to walk in and snarled, "Get the fuck off of her." He may have been raised by a father who is demonstrably a misogynist (though not outside the normal spectrum of the attitude), but I don't think his parents would have tolerated out-and-out obvious rape, and he was starting to push those lines. There were a lot of times when things like that happened, or where he seemed to snap to his senses later on after we were well into my telling him to cut whatever shit he was pulling.

After I moved in with my parents, we had an agreement that we could see other people, which I knew even then meant more that he could see other people (since he told me that we "could" still have sex; how generous). I still started dating someone else, and then sleeping with that guy, who actually treated me with respect.

My abuser's mom died that year. She had gone into surgery for an ulcer, I believe, and then she had a pulmonary embolism and was left comatose and was not expected to live out the day. I was very close to her, so I was devastated, and, naturally, so was he. We usually went to church together, and we did that morning as well, and I remember the way he broke down whenever they asked everyone to pray for his mother. We went back to his house to change clothes and then we were going to spend the day waiting for something, anything, to happen.

I do not read situations well. I was overcome with grief for him and his mother, and felt a massive amount of remorse about "cheating" on him. So I told him, that moment. I was stupid; I was insensitive; I was something. He was very wounded at the time.

He pinned me to the bed and raped me. I mean, there really isn't any other way to put it. He wanted to prove his dominance. He wanted to prove that I was still his. His universe was in complete upheaval and, if my body was the only thing that he could control at that moment, so be it, but it was worth that price to him.

We went to a recital he was singing in later that day, and he broke down in the middle of his song. I just sat there in a daze, thinking, I love him, his mom's dying, and he raped me, and no one here knows it.

She died later that evening, and I held him while he cried, thinking, he's hurting so badly, and he raped me, and I'm hurting, too. It was all just too much to process.

That's the first time that really sticks out to me as being rape. I didn't tell my parents for a multitude of reasons - the most important, to me, was that, if I told my parents that he raped me, they would know we were having sex. I never felt that I was threatened physically or emotionally by giving that message, but part of why I feel a fundamentalist Christian upbringing is harmful is because I was that afraid of being thought a failure as a Christian, so I just didn't tell. That's part of why I can be ambivalent about Christianity; I feel like that aspect of the religion HAS TO GO in order for us to eliminate this problem. Period. As long as women, and teenage girls, do not feel as if they can have consensual sex without shame, there is absolutely no way that they will feel free to report rape, since it is usually an intimate goddamn partner who does it. I think my read on my parents was mostly wrong, but that doesn't change the reality of the message that sends teenagers who do not have the discernment to understand their situations.

The rest of it blurs. He was physically abusive at times, but that blurs together, too; I remember his pulling my hair and hitting me occasionally, although not bruising, and not in the face. He was verbally abusive, and was always extremely hypercritical of my body. He was sexually abusive in that he didn't see consent as a necessity - just a bonus. He would force oral sex on me while I was asleep. He was just generally like that.

We broke up a few months later; I spent the last month trying to break up with him over the phone, but he would threaten to kill himself. Finally we broke up. I was glad. There was one more time when, for some reason, I went over to his house a long time after, got drunk, and we had sex, but I don't really know what I think of that. It's very grey. He had always said that he would never have sex with a girl who had been drinking, but, well, there that went. I don't remember very much of that. Whatever; it's another story in a long line of abuses.

I still feel guilty for what happened because of his mother. I know that it's wrong, but that's the way it hit my psyche at the time and cleansing that is not necessarily a given.

I do not know if he has raped anyone else. I fervently hope not.

The date rape is more unclear to me, although I know it was rape. I had a boyfriend at the time - it was a long-distance relationship with a guy I had known in California. We were free to date, but not to have sex.

Well, a guy I had been dating and I had been sleeping with dropped by without warning one night. I couldn't stand this guy. He had no personality, he was not remotely interested in similar things to me, and just wanted to go to the dollar theater before getting his rocks off. He was a good-looking, soulless shell. Top that off with the fact that I had just settled in with a CD of our spring concert from that year and was looking forward to a nice, introverted evening of enjoying music, and that I hate being interrupted from that sort of thing, and I was very unhappy.

I asked permission and went anyway. Why? My spine had been broken by my previous relationship. I was a pretty malleable ball of spinelessness at the time.

I told him before we went out, "L, I am not having sex with you. I have a boyfriend. No sex, no sex, no sexy sex. No sex." Probably in similar words; he was actually that dull.

We went to a movie; I can't even remember what the hell it was, and then he parked his van somewhere. I told him, "L, remember, no sex." We started making out; he pushed it, and then said, "We should go get some condoms."

I said, "No, we shouldn't, because we're not having sex."

He took the van to a store and got condoms anyway.

I told him to take me home because I was not having sex with his idiot ass and what part of no was so difficult to get through his fucking skull anyway?!

So, in lieu of taking me home, he took us to our usual spot. I told him no. He pulled me into the backseat, and, instead of fighting back, I clearly unwillingly went, and then told him no. He started kissing me, and I told him no. He started taking his clothes off, and then loosening and removing mine, and I told him no. He put the condom on and had sex with me and, at first, I said no, and then I just cried.

Then we went out of the van and sat somewhere, and he put his arm around me, and I think that might be as much as I have ever hated anyone in my entire life, because, not only had I just "had sex when I didn't want to," but it was with someone who was stupid and soulless and boring. We went home, and a Drowning Pool song came in the radio, with the words, "I don't care about anyone else but me." That stuck with me.

I called my boyfriend the next morning and told him about it. He was understanding (although I was ambiguous enough in my communication that I don't think he understood it was rape), but we broke up soon after because he decided that he was gay. I explained this to him in the past few months and he now has a better understanding of what happened.

I didn't think of this as rape until a year and a half ago when I was in my car listening to the radio, and that song came on. I had to pull over, and I was nearly physically ill. I suddenly realized that what I had pushed off as a miscommunication, as his being an asshole, was rape. It was more ambiguous, because I hadn't physically resisted, but it was rape. I didn't really function well for the rest of the day; I had to pretty much just go home.

I still have difficulty reconciling myself to the fact that I didn't physically resist, or something.

My point with these stories is that rape has a lot of different faces and a lot of different situations. Usually the victims feel a great deal of ambivalence because, frankly, rape is such an ugly word, and it's not a nice thing to think about someone you know, maybe even someone you loved or trusted - because, after all, rapists are all guys in dark alleys, right? They're all sociopaths, right? They all fantasize about removing a woman's choice in sex, right?

No. They can just be guys, stupid guys, who do not recognize your agency for a space of time. If that's the case, if it was just a regular guy who does and says and thinks regular guy things, you were still raped if you had sex against your will. Period. That is nonnegotiable.

So, you were already doing it, and he decided he wanted to do something you didn't want to do - have sex without lube, have anal sex, whatever - did he do it even though you said no? Then it's rape. Even if it started as a yes, if you expressed a no, it's rape, because your consent became secondary to his desire to do whatever.

I hope that my ambivalence in regards to the things that I've been through clarifies the fact that, until we make it absolutely clear as a society that the only acceptable kind of sex is sex with enthusiastic consent, there will be this blurring of lines, assholes will feel like they just convinced a woman once she has stopped struggling or saying no, and our daughters will go through the same things and have the same confusion that we do.

That's why we tell our stories. That's why we set those definitions. So that our peers and elders can have the courage to do the same, and so that our daughters and nieces and granddaughters can feel a kind of freedom that we didn't. They need to know that their authority over their own bodies is sovereign, period, and that is is nonnegotiable. They need to know that, when someone crosses that line, especially sexually, the offender is wrong. He wasn't only partially wrong because he was drunk, or your clothes were off, or you'd already done it before, or you didn't fight back. He is wrong.

So, there's my story, and my answer.

Edit: I deleted one story from this because I am posting it to Facebook as an invitation for any women who have stories to tell, to tell them, anonymously, here. I am not able to post one of the stories on here without it violating the anonymity of all parties involved, as it would be recognizable. So, here. Open forum. No judging. Tell your story, if you have one and if you feel able.

16 comments:

  1. INTPagan, it's Essie.

    That was beautiful. Thank you.

    It's strange to me how similar our stories are in some ways, different in many others, of course, but some of the main points are so similar. Makes me wonder how many other women out there have the same story?

    I was raised a conservative Christian. I never believed that my parents would love me less after rape, or anything like that, but Christianity (or at least the brand I knew) was so convinced that all SEX is bad, and I failed to separate SEX from RAPE and thus...I'm getting ahead of myself.

    I went to a Christian college a virgin. I wanted to be a virgin on my wedding night, I'd bought the abstinence-only stuff hook, line, and sinker. I wanted it to be special. I also knew that I would have a high sex drive and that - once I started having sex - it'd be hard to stop. I wanted to have one partner (my husband) and not a string of partners.

    I met a boy. My parents didn't approve, but they expressed that disapproval insanely - by demanding I either cut off all contact with HIM or with THEM. I wouldn't do either, so they stopped talking to me, except to emotionally blackmail me. ("If you keep going out with us, you don't love us anymore.") I went to a counselor at the school - he said they were controlling and I needed not to enable the control (I agree with that).

    I kept dating the guy. Went over to his parent's house to 'hang out'. I told him, many times, that I would never, ever have sex outside of marriage. He was okay with that. But I felt sorry for him, so I'd give oral sex and masturbation to him, to ease the pain.

    You know I have a lot of body problems, a bad back. He would give me massages. One night, alone at his house, he suggested I undress so that he could massage my muscles properly. That made me nervous, because I was uncomfortable with nudity (any kind). He promised we wouldn't have sex, and I insisted I didn't want to have sex. Period.

    He started massaging me and I started to doze. When he went out to get oil for my back, I barely noticed, but when he straddled my back again to continue the massage, I could feel he was naked. I tried to get up, to reach my clothes - I was scared. He held me down, kissing me, assuring me that we wouldn't have sex, he just wanted to 'make out'. I kept trying to get out from under him. I remember I couldn't breathe, he was much heavier than me.

    When he tried to shove into me, I screamed. I said, "No, don't!" And then there was more pressure and then a LOT of pain and he was inside. I was crying, and not moving. He asked me if I needed him to stop 'for a minute' (to catch my breath??) and I remember telling him that it no longer mattered. I was numb. I wasn't a virgin anymore and I never would be.

    When I got up and went to school the next day, I tried to tell my counselor. He reminded me that I could be expelled for 'having sex'. He threatened to expose me ("Do you know our sessions are recorded?"). Even though it was illegal, he told the school authorities and they harassed me as much as possible (they couldn't use the tape directly) and I barely escaped being expelled.

    I continued dating the man, simply because I had nowhere else to go. I had no job, no place to live, no family. And if I stayed with him, loved him, married him, then I really WOULD only sleep with my husband. We just started a little early, that's all.

    Christianity can fuck with your head.

    When I finally left him, I was clinically depressed, underweight from a bulemia I was barely AWARE of, and a terrible self image.

    My parents and I have reconciled, but they can't face the fact that I've been raped. Because they would have helped 'cause' it (in their minds) and they can't face that, so it didn't happen. Period.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure if there's a word limit, so...continued.

    I went from that relationship to an abusive husband who was wonderful until we were safely married and then he started emptying my bank account and charging up my credit cards. Emotional abuse plus the occasional shove down stairs - that was fun. I won't talk about that.

    My "normal" boyfriend last year was what prompted this 'gray rape' question. We'd had sex regularly and often and were in the process of getting ready to have sex again, when I decided that I needed "something" to get going - oral sex or lube, whatever. I don't know if that's normal, but sometimes I'm just not 'wet' enough, pardon the TMI.

    I expressed this clearly, multiple times, and I clearly was NOT into it - I was trying to reach for the lube or guide his lips 'down there' and so on. He ignored me, pushed my hands away, and pressed into me. It hurt, really badly in fact, and I told him to please stop and get me some lube, or let me get it. I told him that he was hurting me. I said, "Stop, I'm not ready, that hurts." I said it at least three times. He didn't stop.

    I shut my mouth, mostly because I didn't know what else to do. Struggle? I didn't struggle during my FIRST rape, because I was terrified that he would hit me or hurt me - I could barely breath. I didn't struggle now because...I loved this man. I couldn't believe this was happening. Why wasn't he stopping when I asked him to?

    He eventually looked up at my face (I was as stiff as a board, not moving, how could he not notice that?) and he went slack. I asked what was wrong, almost conversationally. He said, accusingly, that I "looked like [he] was raping [me]." I didn't know what to say.

    I think - I don't know - I think that he blamed himself for a moment. But he can't handle guilt or blame, and turns it out onto other people. So I also think that he blames ME, for not communicating better (although what more I could have said or done, I do not know) or for not 'getting into it' (as though female lubrication is a matter of willpower).

    We broke up later, for very different reasons, but with the same "I feel guilty, so you did something wrong" results.

    What's really wonderful and strange is that now I have a loving, kind, wonderful boyfriend that is everything I could ever want. And the really weird thing is that he wants and needs me to be really 'into' whatever we're doing, or he just can't get 'into' it himself. My enthusiasm is a necessary component for him, not an unexpected bonus. I remember my previous boyfriend telling me how his wife would 'give in' and give him blow jobs to take care of him and that he appreciated the effort - not so with this new boyfriend. He doesn't want me anywhere near his stuff if I'm not 100% into it. And he doesn't want me to feel like I 'have to' to make him happy. "I'm happy just being with you," he says, and he actually means it.

    I wish I'd known, really known, when I was younger, what was available to me. I wish I'd known that I'd be happier alone than with men who didn't enthusiastically need me to be enthusiastic. And I'm NOT talking about men who want their women to 'give in' but pretend to be enthusiastic - I mean men who are totally okay with hearing, "Not tonight, I'm tired" because they'd rather you be happy than THEY get their rocks off at your expense.

    And, by the way, all of this is why I hate Dr. Dobson. Because it was his brand of Christianity that made me ashamed of being raped. Because I'd been naked. Because I'd been alone with a man. Because I'd been giving him oral and manual release in an attempt to be kind. Because I was the kind of girl who deserved to be raped. And it was his books, his marriage manuals, that taught me that if a wife is good and kind and patient, then her husband will have to love her, will have to treat her right. And when I was good and kind and patient, and my husband was abusive, I just believed that I wasn't good and kind and patient ENOUGH. If I could just be MORE, then it would finally work. And you know what? It didn't. Because it wasn't me, it was him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of what you just said, equal parts anger that it happened, and happiness that you're with someone awesome. It's new to me, too.

    And yes, I do think a good share of the blame falls on the fundamentalist psychotics who think that, if women just behave themselves, they will be left alone, and if they have sex they're already sullied anyway, so who gives a shit about their bodies?

    And then girls raised like that know exactly how their parents think about it (or think they do), and don't feel as if they can communicate in regards to what's happening to them. It shuts down avenues that should protect girls, such as families and religious communities (not to mention the freaking proper authorities).

    This is unacceptable, and fundamentalist Christianity - not all of Christianity, just this particular brand - is a poison to our culture and the mindset needs to be eradicated through education and activism. Period.

    Even that, though, wouldn't stop rape from happening - it would just make it so that women would feel more able to speak out about it without the stigma of being sexual in the first place.

    I am so, so glad you are with someone good now, and sad that it's such a difficult lesson to learn for the vast majority of women I have known (if they learn it at all).

    Dude, you're in DFW. Seriously, I don't know a lot of people around here anymore; if you want to get together sometime that would be awesome - lemme know. I understand being leery of people on teh intahrnetz, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know, it is seriously weird that you're in the area, too.

    I *have* to ask, are you a solitary pagan or do you have any kind of support group of any kind? Texas is not exactly open towards pagan loonies, as I'm sure you've noticed. *grin*

    I really have to catch up on your blog - never even knew you had one before today. You're getting married - I gleaned that, congrats on finding a Good Boyfriend!! - you have a daughter, and your ex STOLE your son?!? Oh my god.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am currently not so much practicing, for a lot of reasons, but I have also been interested for a while in finding a community here. The problem is that I left such an awesome community behind in NC, where I was stationed, that my standards are very high, and I'm afraid to look at this point.

    I miss practicing now, but I don't feel comfortable solitary.

    Yeah, my story with my son is a long one that's partially hashed here, but without a lot of salient details. Thanks for the interest and the congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi. I was mentioned in this post, in passing. Ironically, i was recently accused of a date rape situation. The thing is, we were both pretty drunk, and he initially was very responsive; initiative, even. We then came to a certain point and something changed- probably that he realized that I wasn't the person he was chasing after at the time, who also happened to be there- and he resisted. It became clear that he had changed his mind, and I stopped anything intimate, but right as this was happening, we were discovered by some friends, and... it looked bad.

    His account of the situation was very different than mine, and for a while i fell out of favor with a couple people. Later the incidence reduced in importance, as the guy was found to have some pretty serious emotional issues, but at the end of the day, he still thinks that, and that's such a weird feeling.

    I wonder what color his rose would be...

    ReplyDelete
  7. The friend in the beginning of the post is me. I agree with what you said. All. Of. It. I also whole-heartedly believe in statutory rape because, well--a 15 year old girl doesn't know WHAT the hell she wants let alone what she is ready for. I always felt like because I stayed with him it wasn't rape because after the initial time, I continued to do it. I convinced myself for years that I wanted it. But I didn't. I didn't want to have sex. Not with him. Not with anybody. I also didn't fight him off physically. All of our friends were around, and the embarassement of the situation would have been "more that I could bear" at the time. So I just took it. I always thought of rape as the guy beating the girl up and her punching and kicking back, but you're right--it's seldom that way.

    I recently told my mother what happened to me that night. She was HORRIFIED that I didn't feel like I could tell her...or even ASK her if what had happened to me was rape. I just spent years alone and confused. I too suffered from an eating disorder, and at 6'1" weighed in at 130 lbs. No one knew the reason, but I did. I was hurting, and, being the masochist that I am, the hunger pains felt good. My boyfriend was also overly critical of my figure, and he told me I looked good.

    This has got to stop! (And J, thank you for posting this.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Zero -

    If you stopped as soon as he said no, that's what matters, and I'm sorry that happened to you. You did not sexually assault him unless you continued after he removed consent.

    The thing is, though, that actual rapes that are unreported far outnumber the number of falsely reported rapes. That's part of why this deals with rape and not with false accusations. Generally the argument about false accusations leading to guys suffering is a strawman, because it is seldom that *women* (and I understand that this is key in this situation because, obviously, neither party in your situation was female) actually report things that do happen, much less things that don't.

    However, as a caveat, one thing that I haven't heard much about are stats of rape in the gay community (Zero is male, to clear it up for anyone who may not have gathered that), though, and that would be an interesting trend to look at as well, because the dynamics of the relationships are inherently different.

    Old friend -

    Thanks for posting on this.

    I'm torn on the subject of statutory rape mainly because I have known girls who were with someone just a year or two older than them who would have qualified as statutory, even though the relationship was mutual and there was actual respect. The guy I was seeing and "cheating" with was several years older than me, but he never treated me with anything other than respect for my right to make decisions about my body. I don't think guys like that are rapists, and I don't like that we tag guys who might have a real relationship as statutory rapists for life.

    I do realize that this is problematic, though, because there are a disproportionate number of older guys who do exploit younger teenage girls who do not have enough savvy to understand what is going on, and that my experience is unusual (in that I was abused by someone slightly younger than me and treated well by someone much older).

    ReplyDelete
  9. The statistics on gay rape ARE really fuzzy, because, as you said, the instances of false accusation is far outstripped by the number of rapes that never go reported, and this is also true in the gay community.

    The image of the gay male life is- and this is not entirely untrue- one of incredibly promiscuity, and historically response to men who report being raped by other men has been a staggering "eh". so the overwhelming majority of gay men that i know that have been raped- and I know a pretty large number- don't report it, partially because of the same reasons women don't, but also because they don't think anything will be done about it. There are many other factors, but that's still a very big reason why there are so few studies done on this: people assume that we're all fucking each other to death anyway, so what's the point in focusing on those who said no?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Zero -

    Interesting, that gay men suffer from the same meme that sexually active females do - they have sex, so they must have wanted it somehow, and who cares? I'm not particularly surprised, and I wish there was more support there. Not that teh gheys, you know, have the same value as human beings (aka straight men).

    Thank you, Zero, for an interesting twist on the usual dialogue about sexual assault.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well,it's the old saw. Not a female issue, human issue.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very true, Z.

    It's another example of how the patriarchy truly does not benefit anyone who is not a straight male, period. The silence imposed on anyone who is not a member does unquantifiable to countless people, and not all of them are women.

    ReplyDelete
  13. INTPagan, Essie, Zero - thank you for sharing your experiences.

    A friend of my wife's was recently sexually assaulted by her housemate. She got home from work and he was cooking. He kept plying her with wine and they were chatting, and then he started touching her. She kept saying no, he kept on going. Things got a bit hazy, but she remembers protesting his hand between her legs. At that point she threw him off (martial arts class came in handy there) and put him to bed. She emailed her partner (who's across the country) to tell him what had happened, all in a daze, and then went to bed. She could hear the roommate calling out her name in the dark and she was really scared; fortunately he didn't get up.

    The next morning, she got up, had breakfast, had a civil conversation with him, and went to work. Then it hit her what had happened and she crashed.

    Over the next week, she would frequently burst into tears and collapse, as different bits came back to her. She had so much self-doubt over whether it was really assault, whether she'd led him on, whether she was blowing it up out of all proportion, whether it was in some way her fault. Part of her fear was that because her relationship is open, that meant she was advertising her availability for any sex at any time with anyone, that she'd given up it being on her terms. She felt that it was no big deal, and that she must be weak and stupid for letting it affect her so much.

    She had us to look after her, her boss was understanding and gave her the time off. My wife took unpaid leave to look after her because she wasn't in any state to be left alone. I don't know how someone on an hourly wage, without support from friends and family could have got through it.

    We took her to the police station to report it, although she didn't intend to press charges. She didn't want the guy to be punished, she just wanted him not in her house anymore. The police officers were very calm and supportive and took her statement. They said they'd get a statement from him too so that if she did decide to press charges they'd have the report ready to go. They also said that she was entirely within her rights to throw him out and/or apply for a restraining order even if she wasn't pressing charges.

    My wife went round there and told him that he was never to contact her friend, and that he needed to get out within 5 days. He texted my wife 2 days later to say that he'd gone, and she went and checked that he was. Her parents are semi-retired, so they were able to head down there and move her furniture around so the house didn't feel the same. They stayed round to help her feel safe. She did some kind of Wiccan cleansing/purification/sanctifying ritual, I'm not sure of the details, but it helped her feel safe at home.

    Then a couple of weeks later the cop called and told her that he'd talked to the assaulter/former roommate and that he'd concluded that it wasn't really sexual assault so she couldn't press charges even if she wanted to, which she didn't. The phone call really shook her - the officer had basically told her that she was lying, which brought back all of her self-blaming. She had another week of flashbacks.

    She's in a better emotional state now, not blaming herself, and working on grad school applications. I can't imagine how horrific it must have been for INTPagan and Essie without having family they could rely on.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much for sharing that, Randall. I'll give a comment in more detail later, but, just to clear it up on my side, I had family, and they would have supported me, but because of the particular religious background I had, I thought that was not an option. So I perhaps perceived that I did not have family to help me, but I actually did, if that makes sense.

    I just don't want it to come across that I didn't have supportive family.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wanted to post that I found a very nice Etsy artist who has quite a few black rose jewelry pieces for sale.

    http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5348476

    I'm picking up some hairpins and hair barrettes, black ones, because - dammit - that vagina monologues practice brought tears to my eyes. If some girl sees my black rose and realizes that she's not alone, then in some small way it will kind of sort of been worth it.

    I would like to be the only one ever raped, like INTPagan said. But I'm not. Absent that wish, I would like the pain I suffered to help someone - whether it's to help a women with her pain, or to help a man realize how systemic this problem really is. And this small, almost silly, symbol is the only way I know how.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Randall -

    I am very sorry that happened to your wife's friend, and I'm glad that they at least got the bastard out of the house. I hope things come to more resolution for her, though. These grey areas of sexual harassment and assault are what kill us as a culture; they're still moderately acceptable because they find ways to pin blame on the victim - oh, well she/he shouldn't have been drinking (even if it was with a trusted roommate), she/he shouldn't have done this or that, or should have done this or that, so on and so forth.

    How did you find my blog? You posted earlier on my Marine post, so I don't think you're from Facebook, but I'm not positive, and I'm curious if I know you.

    Essie, that is wonderful - I would do that, but I don't think the reference would get through to most people, and I don't personally want to wear that as a badge all the time. I don't know why, but that would be crossing a line with me. It was hard enough, when they asked for everyone who had been sexually assaulted or knew someone who had to stand up, to stand up. That about cracked me - it's just difficult to do it over something warmer than the internet.

    However, I'm glad you found an outlet for your experience, and I hope that someone does see and understand.

    ReplyDelete